Four wheel drive - Winter car survey

Set the 'way-back machine' to 1974, and I am in my brand new Land
Cruiser driving to work in its first blinding New Hampshire snowstorm. I
am totally impressed with how well I am able to accelerate away from the
first one or two stop signs in the neighborhood.  The startling
revelation came at the intersection of the first main street and was
that for the most part, I couldn't stop any better than anyone else.  I
have to believe that every first time four wheel driver goes through the
same startling revelation at some point. Some wind up in the ditch, I
moved to sunny California.  Thirty years in the Boston area was enough!

Steve Albrecht
Golden Gate Chapter
'95 540