Re: rotors

I would stay away from drilled rotors.  Unless the drilling and heat
treating is done correctly, the rotors are likely to crack (i.e., the holes
can cause cracks).  What you want are slotted rotors.  They allow pad
binder gases and water (on wet days) to escape from the area between the
pad and rotor (which is the purpose of drilled rotors) and are less likely
to cause cracks (but heat treatment is still recommended - actually, what
is working locally is cryo-treating of rotors).  Take a look at any current
race car's brake rotors, USRRC, PSCR, FIA, CART, etc. and you will see
slotted rotors.

That said, for street use I doubt slotted rotors will show any benefit
(except in the wet) and unless you can get them for the same price I'd go
with plain rotors (although the slotted rotors do look cool, very racy!).

I have a question, why are your rotor due for for replacement?  3-4 years
seems like a short life span.  I ask so I can monitor the rotors on my '96
328i sport.  I have 65k mi on my '86 944t w/ 3 seasons of track driving,
and I am still running on the original rotors, I would expect similar
performance from BMW.

Mark
'96 328i sport
'97 Contour SE