Re: Stripped Aluminum Bolt Holes

Evan,

If you are skilled enough with a hand drill, I would suggest a Helicoil insert. These are readily available in all metric sizes at most decent auto parts houses. Just buy the right size kit, drill the threads out of the stripped hole with the supplied bit, tap the new hole with the provided tap and screw in the helical insert. Make sure to insert the "insert" with the
little tang toward the bottom of the hole and break the tang with a small drift punch and hammer so the bolt doesn't hit it when inserted.

The rear shock mounts going bad are indicated by a knocking/rattling sound located to either rear corner or the car when driving over bumpy surfaces.

CV joints tend to make a clicking noise when moving. The clicking will increase with speed. Also, a really bad joint can make growling sounds if the internals are degraded significantly. Look for torn dust boots, leaking at the joint and also try rocking the axle shaft to assess any lateral movement. If you are hearing a growl, chances are it's a bearing as these tend to
wear quicker than a CV joint.

Hope this helps.

Bary Pfaff
Redondo Beach, CA