re: Short Shifter **Rob

 "Andrew Pridham" <Andrew.Pridham@domain.elided> wrote:

>Subject: re: Short Shifter
> I know I will be corrected if I am wrong, but the BL/SS kit does
>not include the majority of the components that MUST be replaced if you are
>to eliminate that play (selector rod joint, shifter tray mounting bushings,
>various o-rings, etc.).  These are very cheap to buy (from BMW), moderately
>difficult to install, but essential.

        You're not exactly right.  In terms of slop/looseness, the biggest
factor in pre-1986 BMWs is the "shifter tray mounting bushings" - correctly
called the "sheetmetal console".  We don't replace the weak and nearly
useless BMW bushings - we have the Sheetmetal Console Repair Kit which
dramatically fixes the console with polyurethane and steel hardware... it
becomes *more* solid than new.  This item is included FREE with our CCERK
(for pre-1986 cars only) or for a very small price if purchased seperately.
        The selector rod joint isn't nearly as much of a "slop point" as you
think and usually, unless the car has been terribly abused, isn't worth the
effort to replace.

> As an added bonus, the
>lever I used is about 1/2" shorter than the original lever which looks and
>feels better.  Why has no-one ever addressed the impact of the BL/SS ERK,
>which raises shift lever height by about an inch?  I guarantee that the 1"
>will be immediately noticed, and not appreciated.  The words "sticks out
>like a sore thumb" comes to mind.  Finally, yes, by moving the pivot point
>of the shift lever down 1/2" in my setup I do move the angle by which
>pressure is applied to the selector down from what was approximately a
>straight push, but the ever so slight upward and downward pressure that is
>now exerted on the selector shaft should be easily tolerated.

        You're making a very odd point here... you are lowering your lever
1" (which a non-ERK BL/SS will do also) and then you say that the ERK'd
BL/SS, which raises the lever back to within 5mm of stock height, "sticks
out like a sore thumb."  How can a lever that is practically
indistinguishable from stock height be noticed at all?
        The primary purpose of the ERK is to correct the selector rod
alignment and eliminate the friction and stress from an off-angle selector
rod.  Using the lever you have without an ERK will put more wear on the
seals and knuckle - you'll be replacing them a lot more often.

        You can see a Shockwave demonstration of the alignment and height
differences in action at:  http://www.shortshifter.com/shifterdemo.htm

>BTW, shift
>effort in my setup was not noticeably increased (even before I went to
>MTL), but maybe I was too happy shifting to notice.

        People who have converted to the ERK will absolutely disagree with
you.  There is a very noticeable decrease in notchiness and effort.

- - Rob Levinson
UUC Motorwerks
'85 535i Turbo, BL/SS Level 3 with CCERK
'86 535i, BL/SS Level 2

www.shortshifter.com