Re: -ALL- Sequential transmission??

Regarding the SMG Rob Writes:

>Similar transmissions are available from Porsche (Triptronic?) and
>sadly Lexus (GS 400).

I am no expert in this area, so sombody correct me if I'm wrong, but I
think there is a major difference between the BMW SMG and the Porsche
and Lexus systems.  This is... the SMG is a computer shifted "manual"
transmission (like in F1) where the Porsche/Lexus offerings are actually
"automatic" transmissions that can be sequentially shifted manually.
What's the difference?  Only the BMW system has no torque converter to
sap power.  It is a direct-connect clutch that is released and engaged
by computer.  Hence, the SMG is as fast or faster than the standard
manual tranny while the Porsche tiptronic is significantly slower than
its manual counterpart.

Make not sound like a big difference, but performance wise, it's HUGH!

Confirmations anyone?

Calvin Hare
'96 M3