Re: <ALL> Sequential transmission??

<mailto:s_m_harrington@domain.elided>
>Subject: <ALL> Sequential transmission?? and Guinness
>
>Hello All,

>First a question...the other day someone posted a message about the
next//M3 and mentioned a "sequential transmission." Could anyone enlighten
me >as to what that is and what it differs from in terms of transmission
nomenclature.

Scott, I might have re-touched that thread again...  BMW sequential
transmission (Steptronic?) has been an option I believe on '97 + European
M3's. (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).    It's the coolest, sweetest,
shifter that you can imagine.  The shifter moves up and down and basically
allows for full throttle up-shifts since alas! there is no clutch.  All
shifting is controlled by a computer and all you do is enjoy the smooth and
precise shifts.

Similar transmissions are available from Porsche (Triptronic?) and sadly
Lexus (GS 400).

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536