CHIPS (longish)

Geez.. I take a break from the Internet for one night... ;)

Well.. I'm answering ALL these questions in ONE email!!

First off.. someone want's "numbers"... numbers are advertising
GARBAGE.. want REAL results.. take a look at the winners
of this years CCA racing events.. now look at the ones that
CAN be chipped.. see who's chip technology is in WELL over
half (and 8 of the 9 top finishers!)..

Hint.. not East Coast.. not West Coast.. UTAH!

(I wonder.. can I get Utah to change their motto from

  "Greatest SNOW on earth" to CHIPS?!?")

If you want numbers.. I'll be happy to fly out to you
and personally tune your car.. at which point you will have
a set of numbers that match THAT CAR and no other..

Nathan (85 535i) poses:

> I just recently bought a Turner Chip for my 85 535i, I was wondering..I
> actually think that most companies buy their chips from one distributer
> and "stick" their logo on it, is this true?

  Not at all.. there are MANY different chip tuners in this country..

> Almost every company I checkied out
> claimed the same HP and Torque increases, So I assumed that they all use
> the same chips.  I didn't ever even hear about Jim C. untill I joined
> this list.

  Well.. this one is easy.. our GOAL when we developed our 535i chip (many
  will remember that I made them WAIT until I was happy with it!) was to
  beat all the others (on our TEST VEHICLES) in HP..

  We did by between 2 and 4 HP at all points on the RPM curve..

  What was surprizing is how LITTLE HP the competition really made
  compared  to their BS advertising claims.. not my problem though..

  Oh, and to answer your question.. I tune both the midrange AND full
  throttle on everything I do.. not just full throttle.. anyone saying
  anything to the contrary owes me many beers at the next CCA function.

Others wonder about dynoing OBD-II cars..

  Well, kiddies.. save your money.. Ol' Uncle Shark is gonna give you a
  good secret.. YOU CAN'T DYNO THEM ACCURATELY!

  Why.. because YOU can't clear the Adaption of an OBD-II car..

  If you have say.. a 95 M3 (OBD-I) you can unplug the DME.. run the car..
  swap the chips.. run the car again.. VOILA reasonably valid dyno
  numbers..

  HOWEVER.. the ONLY way to clear adaption in the OBD-II cars is via
  serial command.. even those outfits that use a soldering iron to swap chips
  can't do it... the adaption is in a different chip from the engine code
  and maps!

  A simple serial command too.. but without it you can't clear the DME..

  If you can't clear adaption, you CANNOT compare apples to apples and all
  you do is waste your money.

  When we did the first M3.. Will Turners personal car.. he sent me the
  DME for an adaption clearing.. the back to Will.. the a bunch of dyno
  runs to yield the "stock" curves.. then back to me for reprogramming and
  clearing..  and back to the dyno..

  The unfortunate thing is that Dynojet ops and others have everyone
  convinced that "real" numbers only involve strapping the car down.. and
  it isn't that simple.. not in the least..

On the availability of my chips in other countries..

  I guess that post didn't make it to this digest.. I'll resend it
  momentarily

  Jim C.

  PS: Thanks to Duane and all my supporters for helping to answer
      some of these questions..