Re: Timed Performance

Duane, I have told the others that have volunteered...

If you don't feel comfortable with the 80-120 or 120-0 then skip it.

The 30-80 portion is very reasonable, a benchmark many tuners use.

Atlanta traffic often moves at 80 and many folks at 70 feel like there
running slow.  I assume your neck of the woods have similar areas.

Duane, if you can street race a Ferrari surely you can mange a 30-80 test.

The braking test can just as easily be done from 80-0 as well.  As before,
the 80-0
braking is probably a norm here in Atlanta as well.  I travel to our plants
in middle GA
about 2x a week and invariably I come back to Atlanta doing 80 to end up
"doing"
the 80-0 test just because of traffic.

The idea was to test street cars.  I run mine with race pads year around as
well as full tread R1s.
Thats my occassional street car.   Gets out of garage about 2x/week.  My
car is the weird one
in this timed performance group (outlying data point).  The real cars are
the stock , chipped, euro hfm ,etc.
The fastest car in this test has already been claimed by Gene Liu and I
doubt there's a street BMW on this digest
that would even come close..  Thats NOT the point here though.

The idea of this test is to come up with a significant sample of BMWs to
make some observations
about their stock vs chipped vs other mods between models so interested
folks
can see what the performance differences are.   Since its not scientific
just stop watches
and a dry, flat road type of thing its just fun comparisons.  Comfy seats,
nice gearbox,
comfortably seats 4 stuff is best left to car mags and salesmen.  The timed
performance
test throws the BS out the window and says what can your car do period.. no
excuses.
Your listing of the car's street equipment or other qualifies the results.

Also, 0-60 involves launch technique so thats why its eliminated.
Accelerating from 30-80 is the heart
of this test.  Your car would be a perfect choice for the euro hfm M3,
participate or not.

Grant
gwells@domain.elided
'87 E30