E34 rear interior lights

Well I received my switchable rear reading lights from Bavarian
Recycling yesterday and it appears that they at least will fit in their
prosepective places.  They have three wires as opposed to the existing
two wire factory setup.  The factory setup has one bulb and the
replacements I purchased have two bulbs and a switch.  One bulb is for
the regular "dome" action and the other is a switched map light.  I'll
have to figure out how to wire this up with my ETM but if anyone has
already done this and can give me some pointers it would be appreciated.
I believe someone was commenting on the necessity of installing diodes
in place. Is that correct?  TIA.

Chuck MacWilliam, R.N.
'92 525i
'85 325e