Newbie questions

Hi,

I just joined this list because I am in the process of searching for the a
used BMW.  I have decided that I do not want to spend more than $10k. I like
the late 80's 3 and 5 series cars especially the 325is and the 535is.  I am
also considering a 88 M5 as an option but I've been turned off by a mechanic
who sited very expensive maintenance on the M series cars, especially one
that have over 100k on the odometer.  Is this so, a M5 costs that much more
to maintain than 535is? I've always bought older cars and I do most of the
work on them myself so I keep my cars well maintained.
	I have a problem with car payments, therefore I have acquired a taste for
older European cars.  I know that it is not a fair question, but what in you
opinion is the best BMW one could buy for 10k?  I appreciate any input on
this decision I am going to make in the next couple of weeks.  I live in the
Washington DC metro area and if anyone has a bimmer that is currently up for
sale in this region please tell me.
By the way I am only interested in manual gearboxes.

Thanks,

Rui.

PS:  I also have a soft spot for 2002's

Rui Fernandes