RE: Request for Tire advice - <E30>

> Well, I finally wore out my Pirelli P6's that have been on for
> about 4 years and now I can't decide on a replacement...there are
> sure a bunch of choices!  The tire fitment is 195/65 VR14, but live
> in Texas, not Germany (although hope to, some day soon).  I need an
> all around/all weather tire--rain and dry.  Any opinions on what to
> get (boy, was that a loaded question or what - "any opinions")?

	Funny you should ask.
	I had P6's on my '89 325i when I bought it and have since moved to
Dallas after wearing off D60A2's (very average = never again).
	What you are looking for is hardly an 'all around/all weather tire'.
The only (IMHO) advantage of Texas climate is the ability to enjoy good
summer tires. Do remember that improved tire traction will cost additional
$$$ and typically comes at the price of reduced tire lifespan.

> Local Discount Tire has D40 A2s at a good price ($63) and
> Goodyear has a new tire "Eagle HP".  I've also seen Potenza
> RE910s at a good price.  I'm at a loss!  Please help!

	Dan, I've been very happy with Yoko AVS Intermediates over the last
15K miles (still over 1/2 thread left). They are about the best street
performance tire you can buy in our size. I got them at Discount Tire (they
match TireRack prices - why bother with shipping?) at about $90/tire.
Pirelli P6000 were my second choice.
	Your choice in tires will ultimately be limited by how much you are
willing to spend. AVSi's (reportedly) last around 30K very fun, enjoyable
grippy miles.

have fun,
alex