RE: cold start

I have roughly the same problem with my '88 325iC.  Often it starts fine,
but other times you'll crank and it won't catch for many tries.  I thought
maybe the battery was going and couldn't crank the starter quick enough (it
was 5 years old anyway), but that didn't help anything.    This is making
me nervous as cold weather is approaching and my girlfriend drives the car
(I get the M3!).

Any thoughts would be a big help.

Thanks,
Mike Olsen