Re:'88 M6

> Mitch-

    Although i'm no expert on M6's i've driven them, and read a fair amount about them (and have
talked w/some owners).  I did own a 635csi, so i've some experience in that area.     The M6  has
a superior feel (in all areas), so if you've found a good one,  that is definitely the way to go
over a standard 6-er.  From what i'm told engine parts are stratospherically expensive, so i would
have a GOOD BMW mechanic check the engine thoroughly.  The 6-series were supposedly prone to rust
around the front shock towers, though i didn't see that w/mine...just something to have a look at
though.  You'll want to see service records, which are hopefully available to you.  At that
mileage i'd look at water pump, brake boost unit ("the bomb"), ventilation controls, and ac to
have some problems.  Also find out if it still has the self-leveling rear suspension.  Those were
known to have problems and many people replaced it with the standard suspension set-up from a
635.  Otherwise, i've heard that they are a solid, reliable car.
    Beyond this, i'm sure there are more expert opinions coming your way from other people on this
digest.  I'm jealous man!  No question- it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made.  Good
luck!

     Brian Wollard
     wollard@domain.elided