Re: Oil Starvation

>From: Duane Collie <drcollie@domain.elided>
>>From: "Tim Gergen" <m3gizmo@domain.elided>
>>
>>We all know the the E 36 (M3 in particular) has an oil starvtion/lifter=20
>>tick problem.  Could this be remidied by instaling a high=20
>>volume/pressure oil pump???  Or is the problem related to "not enough=20
>>oil in the pan"?? =20
>
>Tim,
>
>When this issue first came up I called around to all the tech gru's lke TC
>Kline, Will Turner, and PTG.  My idea was to buy an Accusump aftermarket
>oil pressure accessory that Racer's Wholesale sells for a couple hundred
>bucks and install that. All the above told my it would not work and don't
>waste the money. (Now I'm gonna get at least half a dozen e-mails asking me
>WHY it won't work and I'll tell you right now the reason....I FORGOT
>exactly why they said it won't work  but you can call them yourself if you
>really gotta know).
>
>The LTW Oilpan Kit from BMW does come with a completely new "GT Oil Pump"
>as BMW calls it, so its more than just a baffled pan.  The problem is the
>oil pools to the right of the pan on hard  right hand turns and the system
>cannot pick it up.  Remember now that we are talking about 1/2 half of one
>percent of E36 M50 engine owners who drive the cars hard enough for this
>condiiton to occur.  99.5% of E36 325/M3 owners will never experience the
>problem.  =20
>
>Why try to engineer a kluge when the fix is already done for you in kit
>form, gang? The Motorsport engineers knew this was a problem for track cars
>and they spent a considerable amount of effort to give ya'll the right fix.
> C'mon...lay out the Visa card and go for it.=20
>
><tick, tick, tick> like a time bomb. <g>
>
>Duane Collie

Oh wise and omnipotent Duane (and others of Bubba status),
Does the lightweight oil pan, pump and dual oil pickup fit onto the M50
equipped E34?
I dont think so (at least for the pan itself). Please correct me if I am
wrong.
Thus, my interest into this kluge.

Steve
'91 525i (BL/SS, 142k, Redline, chip)   (oo=3D(||)(||)=3Doo)
'88 Cherokee (4.0, 150k, 242, Redline)     [=7F||||||||||=7F]=20