Re: Spartanburg Build Quality

> From: Jeff_Lloyd@domain.elided
> Subject: Re: Spartanburg Build Quality
>
> Murry,
>
> My '96 Z3 did have it's problems but most of these issues
> were worked out in the first year of production
> the '99's are supposed to be on par with their counterparts from
> munich
>
> Jeff Lloyd

Who says the German built cars are so great?  I'd take a Spartanburg buil=
t car
anytime (and probably will as I have a new M Roadster in my sights for ne=
xt
spring).

My German built 325, now with only 40,000 miles, has had the following mi=
nor but
irritating faults (i.e. time in the shop) since delivered new on July 28t=
h, 1995:
Sept. 95 - Sunroof won't open: replace wiring.
Oct. 95 - Idle surges: reset. Upper rad hose leaking: tightened & fixed.
Windshield distorted: replace windshield.
April 97 - Oil leak: replace rear seal. Steering loose: replace left ball=
 joint.
Driver door won't unlock: replace key.
August '97 - Steering loose (d=E9 je vous): replace left ball joint.
Oct. 97 - Driver door won't unlock (d=E9 je vous): replace lock cylinder.
April 98 - Oil leak (d=E9 je vous): replace transmission seal. Steering l=
oose (d=E9 je
vous): replace left ball joint for the third time! (OK the track is mostl=
y right
turns)

All warranty, but still.....
My previous car?  An Acura Vigor.  Problems?  None.  Nada.  Now I love my=
 Bimmer,
I wouldn't swap it for anything. But still......

I know two people with Z3's (one is an M Roadster).  They love them and h=
ave no
complaints regarding build quality. I say good on ya Spartanburg.  God bl=
ess the
great Satan.

John. (in Canada -- please send Rolling Rocks)