Re: parking lot troubles

John Ward writes:

<<snip>>As usual, to protect my car('92 E36 325i 4dr) from dings I parked
at the far end of the lot, taking 2 spaces. Since it wasn't busy I figured
no problem - won't have to worry about some idiot opening their door into
me or a shopping cart getting knocked into the side of my car.<<snip>>

John:

I feel the same way about dings, chips and the general disregard for other
people's property.  In fact, our two "nice" cars get parked in corner spots
away from other cars all the time.  Our Camry is the "downtown Chicago,
crowded parking lot, park in the closest spot, valet park (if absolutely
neccesary)" car.  I just touched it up yesterday for the winter.  It's
amazing how many dings and chips it gets.  Oh well.

My view when parking the 328 or 911 is to park it away from the masses, but
I NEVER take up two spots.  My favorite maneuver is to find an end spot and
park it at a little bit of and angle so it's hard for a car next to it to
bang their door into mine.  However, I think that if you take up two spots,
people think you feel you're better than the rest, etc.  I want to keep my
car a safe distance away without calling attention to it.  Besides, if you
park in the boonies, there shouldn't be anyone next to you anyhow.

I had hoped that I and my wife wouldn't feel this way about the 328 (it's a
PITA) and we bought a slightly imperfect 4,000 mile '97.  But the car is so
pretty and drives so well that neither of us have gotten over the babying
stage.
Just my opinion, it's POSSIBLE that there are others on the Digest.

Donn
'97 328i
'89 911
'93 Camry
P.S. -notice the slick editing on the original post.  I didn't take up half
the Digest repeating the whole message!

Donn York
Treasurer, The Interlake Corporation
(630) 719-7247