<e30> re:318 rebuild price??

Sean Duckworth sez
>I found a 1984 318i for sale really cheap. But I think the timing belt
>broke. I owner said the engine seemed to run on two cylinders then die.

318i have a timing *chain*, no timing belt..
(only bmw engine with timing belt is M20 -> E30 325, E28 528 (e's and i's) )

also, '84 318i engines are pretty indestructable.. they may slowly lose
steam and start burning oil etc but don't generally die completely..

I'd think it is more likely ignition (wiggle plug wires, check rotor),
dead fuel pump.. or possibly screwy fuel injection..

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002