<misc>RE:Engine Warming

It was written:

My owner manual says NOT to run the engine a long time atidle just to
warm up the car. I think it suggests a max of 30 seconds orsomething
low like that. Obviously, no-one at BMW has had to wake upto a frigid
car in frosty Calgary.Does the BMW caution against long idling (to
warm up the
car) arise morefrom an environmental concern, or is there a valid
andimportant
MECHANICAL reason for this?Murray97 318i

An engine under load warms faster (warm engine = good) than an engine
under no load(idle).

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD