Yeah, Safelight Sucks

Michael,

I, too, have had bad experiences with Safelite.  I thought the "big
name" would mean "good work" - not so.  I had my CRX windshield replaced

by them about 2 months ago.  The FIRST one they put in looked okay...
until I drove with it.  There was a massive air leak at the center of
the dash.  Then I noticed the plastic molding at the bottom of the
exterior window was stuck on - literally.  All the fasteners were broken

off and the molding was being held on with that ever-present black glue
stuff.  Not kosher, but probably the reason for the air leak.

ALSO, upon entering my car I nearly cut my rear on all the shards of
glass all over the interior of my car.  Did this guy really vacuum after

himself like the say they do?  I also noticed the remnants of my old
windshield gasket all over as well.  I was pissed.  After coming home
from work the last thing I want to do is vacuum glass and black gasket
crap from my car.

THEN, I told them what I found.  They informed me that they would have
someone come out and fix it.  About a week later someone apparently came

out and fixed it.  Well, it looked pretty similar to way I left it
earlier, except for the fact there was about twice as much glue crap on
the exterior "sealing" the windshield... so much so my molding was not
flush with the window.  Still had an air leak.  Pissed again...

THEN, I told them about what I had found AGAIN.  The molding was not
fixed, etc.  They informed me they would order the fasteners and fix the

wondshield.  So I waited... and waited... and waited.  After about three

weeks they finally came out and fixed it.  They actually put in a new
windshield, too.  Airleak was gone.  The molding was flush and there was

not much black glue all over.  They did happen to break one of the ends
of my molding completely off.  It was non-critical part of the molding
so I settled.  WHY SHOULD WE SETTLE??...  WHERE ELSE DO WE GO FOR HELP
AND GOOD SERVICE?

Why do us car fanatics have to settle with moron mechanics and lousy
service?  I'm so completely tired of mechanics and such that I wish I
could quit my job and become a mechanic - just to have felt like I made
a difference in this cruel world... I guess that's why I started fixing
my cars myself after about a year on the road.

I don't know how I would have felt if it was my BMW.  I probably would
have driven my car through their shop, but that wouldn't have solved
anything.  If the windshield in my BMW needs replacing, I'm taking it to

the dealer for factory glass that actually fits... and bite the bullet
and pay $700+

Just plain tired of settling,

Eric Hunt
94 325is