Re: New to my BMW and have I got questions...

Liz Sayre said: (edit edit)

- -----
Hey there!!

I am now the proud, if a bit saddened, owner of a 1984 318i that
belonged to a late friend of my family.  I live in a very rural, very
isolated part of Maine -- nearest BMW dealer is at least four hours
away
- ------

Hi Liz, welcome to both the digest, and to BMW ownership.   Sorry to hear
how you got it, of course...

Despite the rubbish of the last few days, it's generally a good group.
I'll try to help with a couple of your questions.

Liz:
- ---------
1.	The engine has been run on standard 10W30 oil for 15 years.
	Can I switch to synthetic?  Any reasons not to?  Never had
	reason to think about it before this.
- ---------

I wouldn't, unless you need it for -extreme- cold weather operation, (it's
great for that) otherwise it won't really make any difference in your
engine's wear at this point.   It costs a lot besides.   I'd stay with
regular oil.

Liz:
- -----
3.	The car was in an accident a few days before my friend died
	and his family never had the heart to fight with the insurance
	company about repairs.  I know I'll have to take her to a body
	shop for the actual work but I'm not even going to chance it
	until I know a bit more about it myself.  I want this done right.
	The damange is to the driver's side.  The door and the section
	of the body directly under the door are bent inward about 3
	1/4	inches from "square" (I measured from the centerline of the
	car and compared the damaged side to the side that is intact).
	Are there any special issues I need to consider in getting this
	taken care of?  I am assuming, since it's uni-body

	construction, that the shop will place the thing on a jig and pull
	the body back into shape and then the door gets replaced
	refitted.  Then the whole thing gets a new paint job.  Am I

	missing anything?  Wrong assumptions?
- -----

That's about it.   Check around for recommendation on a reputable shop, and
don't accept the car back unless it is *straight*.

Liz:
- -----
I realize that I am probably going to spend more money on this car
than it's actual value but I am a slave to sentiment and the thing is
a *ABSOLUTE BLAST* to drive.  Any help, suggestions, web-sites,
books, whatever are greatly appreciated!!
- -----

I'm sure some other 318 owners can help with info and websites.   I would
just recommend that you find a reputable independant mechanic since they
are usually a better choice than the dealer for the older cars, IMO, and
may not be so far away.

Anyone know of a good shop in Maine?

Have fun with your car!

Don