Noisy check strap.

     Forgive me if its all tooo late but I saw a request on here a bit
     back.

     I have just been informed by the other half that here E30 drivers door
     is making a horrible noise when opened and closed against the check
     mechanism.

     Investigation revealed the retaining bracket fractured but holding
     with one bolt.  this meant that all of the pressure was carried by
     this bolt and it was flexing the door casing.  The fractures were
     caused by fatigue and prolonged use in this condition would of ripped
     the door to bits !

     I have welded up the carriage but the operating spring has gone prior
     to refitting (NOT heat damaged) so a previously enjoyed one has been
     ordered from a salvage yard for the princely sum of 6 UK Pounds.

     They did say they would send one from a red car too.

     Hope the above is some use.
     Garry
     wigg@domain.elided