E34 Shocks

Duane writes:
This is a DYI job if you have intermediate mechanical skills.  Rear shocks
are very easy...one beer job.

Fronts are more complex as you have to remove the strut and must have a set
of spring compressors (www.harborfreight.com has 'em for peanuts).  While
it's not difficult to do the front struts it can be rather intimidating
working with the spring compressors if you've not done it before.
		Rears are not very difficult....you'll need to remove the rear seat for
access to the upper shock mounts.  I would replace the mounts with the
shocks while you've got everything apart.
		The fronts with a pair of cheapo spring compressors on this car with
"stock"springs can be very scary.  I was intimidated by a $150 Branick
clamshell type compressor and opted for the Facom/BMW style tool with
changeable forks. You'll be amazed how much you have to compress the
springs, especially if your installing Boge Gas shocks.  The strut
extension tool makes getting the strut nut started much easier...a decent
parts house will have these tools in stock for sale with their shocks.
Replace the bumps stops, boots and spring pads with the front shocks and
use new flanged locknuts (DIN 6923V10 or equivalent) for the front (and
rear) mount studs.  SD
Steve D'Gerolamo - The Ultimate Garage
201-262-0412 / steved3@domain.elided / http://www.ultimategarage.com