RE: E34 Shocks

>From: Charles Vickers <cvickers@domain.elided>
>Subject: E34 Shock Absorber Replacement
>
>Is the shock replacement a do-it-yourselfer or is it something best left
>to professionals?    I was hoping to replace the stock shocks with
>Bilsteins, with the plan being I replace the shocks then take it to my
>mechanic for an alignment.

Charles,

This is a DYI job if you have intermediate mechanical skills.  Rear shocks
are very easy...one beer job.

Fronts are more complex as you have to remove the strut and must have a set
of spring compressors (www.harborfreight.com has 'em for peanuts).  While
it's not difficult to do the front struts it can be rather intimidating
working with the spring compressors if you've not done it before.  Helps a
lot to have an air impact gun, but you can do it without.  One other option
is to remove the front struts and take them and your new Bilsteins to the
local garage and have them work the springs for you.  They can do both in
about 30 minutes.

Alignment is not necessary with a strut/shock replacement unless you just
want to do it anyways.

Duane Collie
SVR / UUC / Bubba