E28, et. al.

All,

The Digest continues to be a source of worthwhile
information, if only to read Brett Anderson's
note the careful way in which he responded to
the guy with the radio questions?  Just one
helpful straight-shooter like him makes all the
other stuff bearable.

With that, I have a question or two to throw into
the mix for a 533i, '83 model year.

On wheel bearings: There seems to be mention
in Bentley about the rear bearings being lifetime
lubricated, or some such.  How about the fronts?
Recommended re-pack interval?

On brakes: Can the bomb really be replaced without re-
moving the power flow regulator?  Seems the area is
too tight to even get a strap wrench down there to
take the accumulator off while it's still in the car.

On oxygen sensors:  If the fluctuating voltage
can be measured at high exhaust temperatures, is it
really necessary to replace the sensor?  Isn't it still
doing it's thing...even if the mileage interval is
exceeded?

On valves:  Isn't it possible, by watching the
position of certain cam lobes, to determine just which
cylinder is at TDC for adjustment?  Also, is it possible
to turn over the engine from the diagnostic connector?
Which pins?

And on hoses:  For the one's carrying oil (like for PS),
what is a good choice for replacements?  Original hose(s)
on my car appear to be the woven fabric type.  Want to be sure
I don't use something that will be eaten by the ATF.
Ditto for the line carrying brake fluid down to the clutch
master cylinder.  Original:  woven fabric type.  Rubber OK
here, too?

Thanks, all.  Flame wars not withstanding, digests are
still good reading.

Cary
'83 533i (garage queen)
105k