Re: <E36> Rr Int Lights Q's, Rr Headrests Q's

Chris wants to be able to turn on the rear cabin lights for passengers.

Chris

I assume you have the rear C pillar lights that do not have the
switchable reading light.

Well the easiest method would be to buy a set of those lamps that have
the reading lamp built in, and replace your existing ones. These are a
standard BMW lamp - any dealer can look up the part and get them for you
in the appropriate trim colour.

You will probably have to do a wiring modification since the current
single lamp (with only 2 wires) will not provide independent power for
the reading lamp.

You will just have to add an extra wire to the reading lamp terminal,
from the wiring under the back seat - any "hot at all times", or "hot in
accessory/run" will do. Colours may be red/white, or red/yellow, or
green/yellow, or green/white.

It is also possible to separately operate the existing rear lights by
installing diodes and external switches of your choice.  The diodes must
go in the existing feed to the lamps, and the power from the new
switch(s) (2 if you want the 2 lamps to work independent of each other)
is spliced in between the diode and the rear lamp. This diode will
prevent power from feeding back to the front lamp when you turn on the
rear with that new switch.

You should also put a second diode in the new power lead to prevent the
power from the the regular interior lamps back-feeding into the circuit
you are using for the switch to the rear lamps. This is in case you have
the rear lamp turned on at the same time you turn on all the interior
lamps (open a door).

So you have 2 methods - depending on how you choose to do it. Buying the
new lamps will of course be more expensive, but will be easier (no extra
switches or diodes) and look better.

You also mention rear head restraints.  To the best of my knowledge they
were options on all cars that did not have them as standard - going back
to at least 1982 - and I think earlier than that. Most are still
available - in the colour and fabric of your choice. They are not hard
to install - there may be some additional fastening hardware on the
packaga shelf, etc.

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada