re: New to my BMW

Hi Liz.  Hope you enjoy your car soon.  I have the same year and model
and *love*it.  Very economical and one that a backyard tinkerer can
easily fix.

RE: power steering pump pulley.  Somteimes a set of large vise grips can
do the trick.  I have a pair that has jaws big enough to hold a
baseball- the jaws resemble the jaw outline of a bowhead whale (i'm not
kidding).  They sell them at home depot.  Given that your pulley is
partly trashed, you won't have toworry about the teeth deorming the
metal.  That may work- and you can use it to hold the water pump pulley
too, as well as the strut cartridge retainer ring if you ever decide to
do those jobs on your own (just be careful about the teeth).

Regards,
Tony