Re: Subject: <Misc> Oil Analysis Results

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 12:45:46 -0600
> From: Kennedy Simon <Kennedy.Simon@domain.elided>
> Subject: <Misc> Oil Analysis Results

> I *finally* got around to having my oil analyzed (via Aviation Laboratories)
> and the results they sent me are not particularily helpful, given the total
> lack of context, so I'd love to compare results with anybody who has also
> had their oil analysed, hopefully by a more 'full service' establishment. My
> results, from my 1995 M3 w/ 30K miles on it, were:

Woo, Mr. Simon, never ever compare your analysis with another engine.
Each engine is it's own unique beast. To use an oil analysis properly,
you must only
compare an analysis with another analysis from the same engine. In most
cases it is
recommended to have your oil analyzed at three consecutive oil changes,
then once every
year. This will give you a history of the engine so you can compare with
future analysis.

Yes, taking oil analysis can be costly done this way, but you will have
peace of mind in
knowing what your engine wear is. It's also good documentation when you
decide to sell
the car.

Nothing is ever gained by just taking one analysis, that is unless there
is something
drastically wrong with the engine. Your results are normal, had they not
been, the Lab
would have given more info. You will not get any more or better results
from another
establishment. But I do recommend independent establishments, and not
one run by oil
companies.

Sincerely,
Bradley D. Otto