<E36> Rockford Fosgate amp installation ideas (long and WOB-ish)

I was looking last night for a good spot to mount  Rockford Fosgate 400.4
amp in the trunk of my 328is.  After several minutes of scratching my head,
I came up with a plan.  There are only two proper ways of mounting this amp.
Vertically or flat, but not up-side down.  Since my old amp was bolted
upside down under the rear deck, I thought I could mount it in the same
spot, and just use spacers to allow for cooling (amp shiny side up).  The
problem is that the amp is pretty tall and with even an inch of space on
top, it compromises a lot of volume in the trunk.  (Forget ever transporting
a mnt bike in there.)

So I started looking on the left side of the trunk (across from the CD
changer) which would actually work pretty well, except that there is nothing
to bolt to.  There is enough space there and the amp would be in the optimum
cooling orientation and out of the way.  This was my line of attack until I
looked at the right side of the trunk, right under the CD changer.  There is
barely enough room to squeeze it in, but since the battery is right under
there with thick high current main power lines running close by, I though it
may induce some noise.  Also, if I ever need to check or change the battery
- - I'd be screwed.

A fleeting idea of dumping the spare wheel/tire a'la Z3 crossed my mind, but
then I remembered the Murphy' Law and how my AAA membership expired a week
before my very first car broke down in my college days.   (broken clutch
cable - I learned how to drive sans clutch that night :)

So I finally decided on mounting the amp flat on the floor of the trunk.
Left hand side.  The way I see it, once you take the black plastic support
panel out and screw the amp to the floor of the trunk, and then make a
cut-out in the plastic panel, it may actually stick out an inch or so.  (The
mouse-hair carpet  would also have to be carefully cut)

Has any one tried this method?  Any other ideas?  I'm open to any
suggestions.  I still have a week or so to think this over.

TIA

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536, NCC