Re: Noisy check strap. BA

>Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:32:09 -0600
>From: garry_grigg@domain.elided (GARRY GRIGG)
>Subject: Noisy check strap.

snip

>The fractures were
>     caused by fatigue and prolonged use in this condition would of
ripped
>     the door to bits !
>
>     I have welded up the carriage but the operating spring has gone
prior
>     to refitting (NOT heat damaged) so a previously enjoyed one has
been
>     ordered from a salvage yard for the princely sum of 6 UK Pounds.
>

>     Garry
>     wigg@domain.elided

For the life of me, I can't understand why you would buy such a part
used.  They are know for breaking, and you have found they can do
tremendous damage to the door when they do, not to mention shattering
windows in certain circumstances.  You paid 6 Pounds, how much is a new
one ? 15 Pounds ?  The retail in the US for about $30.

Brett Anderson
BMW and ASE master technician
http://frontpage.bestweb.net/~bretta

Please include all correspondence when replying
to avoid confusion - Thank you