E28 LSDs

Ggray proclaims:

>Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:24:11 -0500
>From: George & Cathleen Ax <axes@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Diff swapping and percived performance
>
>This sounds convincing.  I checked my relatively recently-purchased '88
>535i last weekend, and it doesn't have a LSD (in case anyone was still
>wondering whether all '88's had LSD ... they don't).
[snip]

Sorry if I'm repeating myself repeating myself, I may have posted this
before, but I'd like to add to that:

When I bought my E28 1988 535i (with LSD), a salesman (whom I
believed to be correct) told me that the LSD was an option, and MOST
early (1985, 1986) E28 535i's didn't have it.  However, he said, by the
end of the production run (1988), MOST of them DID have it.  The
interesting thing is that, while it is commonly believed that the 1987 and
1988 535is's came standard with LSD, we here in GGC-Land have seen
a few 535is's without the LSD.

So, it is important to check any car you're thinking of buying to see how it
is equipped, you can't just assume you got something because "they all
had it", because sometimes they "all" don't.

Well, I'm glad we had this little talk.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977