Car w/a mind of its own!

>Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 19:24:20 -0800
>From: Miki Haraguchi <ikim@domain.elided>
>Subject: Car w/a mind of its own!
>
>I've noticed that my '97 328is/Sport gets pulled this way and that by ruts
or grooves in the road. Does this originate from the tires I have on it, or
is this >behavior just the nature of the beast? It seems I'm dealing with
this all the time on the free way.  I'm running on stock Continental 225/60
ZRs on 16" >rims. If it's the tire, does anyone have any suggestions for
something more stable? I noticed these tires don't like the wet either.
Thanks for any >enlightenment.
>Miki
>CCA #151620
>BMW ACA/PSR

Miki,

I noticed the same thing on my '96 328is/sport when it was stock.  I think
it's a combination of tires and the suspension geometry.  My stock tires
were Pirellis P6000's (225/60 ZR16) and when I switched to Dunlops D40M2's I
noticed a small improvement.  Shortly after that I've upgraded to M3
wheels/tires (Michelin Pilots MXX2) and witnessed another small improvement.
But the biggest improvement was when I swapped out my sport suspension for
M3 suspension.  The big difference is the way the front sway bar attaches to
the strut instead of the lower control arm.

Hope this helps...

Rob Mudry
'96 328is
BMW CCA #135536