<e30> Rough idle after tune-up at mechanic

*******************************

Hi,

After bringing my 1989 325i to the shop for a tune-up, my car's idle is now
rough.  Looking under the hood, the engine vibrates more than it used
to. It used to be pretty smooth at idle.

What I brought the car in for:
	- Valve adjustment
	- Sparks, air, oil
What had to be done in addition:
	- Guibo replacement (cracks)
	- Rear transmission seal and transmission mounts
	- One engine mount, was all broken
*****************

I had a similar problem w/ my '90 325i after a tune-up.  I never fully
investigated it but I seem to remember hearing that the engine would idle
rough if the valves were set to spec.

I had another problem w/ rough idle after the oxygen sensor was replaced.
In
this case, the idle was really bad, oscillating from about 600-1200rpm when
the engine was warm.  The problem went away on its own though.  I wonder if
the oxygen sensor simply needed to get seated properly or something like
that.

I have never found the idle to be really smooth, but the engine is so
wonderful under power that the idle is something I can live w/.  Unless of
course it can be improved.

I would be interested to hear what those who actually know what they are
talking about on this subject have to say.

Sanjay Prasad
'90 325i