Need info on cam timing, 91 325ix

Hi all.

I'm in the process of replacing the timing belt on my 91 325ix
and I have a few questions for people who have done it.  I have
everything off the front of the engine except the timing belt,
and when I line up the  O|T  mark on the vibration damper with
the mark on the belt cover, the cam sprocket mark does not line
up with the mark on the head. (confirmed that piston #1 was up
on compression stroke) The cam sprocket is advanced one notch.
How would this effect how the engine runs?  It did seem to run
pretty good set up like this but I have nothing compare it to.
(only e30, m20 engine car I've ever driven)  It appears that the
shop that installed the last timing belt, did it wrong.  I didn't
own the car at that time.

One more thing, will I need to pull off the crank hub?  The Bently
manual says that if you have the two piece hub you will have to
remove the crank nut and pull the hub off in order to get the belt
on.  Do you know if the 91's have the two piece hub? and if so,
what the best way to hold the crank stationary in order to get the
nut off?  The manual says you need a special tool from BMW,
PN 11 2 150.  Thanks for any info.

I am my cars mechanic.

- -Matt