<E36-M3> Oil Starvation - Would this suggestion work?

I understand that the LTW oil pan solves the oil starvation problem but at
a cost (~$1,500+)... Even though, it may save your engine it is a little
too much for some people to spend.

With this in mind I went to my favorite local BMW repair shop to toke a
look at the stock E36 oil pan and oil pump setup. Basically, the suction
point is at the lowest point of the oil pan. Right above the suction point
there is a flat baffle piece of metal with a large hole (for the oil pump
suction tube strainer). I noticed that the hole on the baffle is way too
large.

What if someone puts a metal mesh over it allowing just enough space for
the suction strainer part to go through? Would that reduce the oil
starvation problem? Would it make a difference at all?

Any opinions?

Theo.
'97 M3 (with too many safety and handling mods...)