E28 Power Steering Filter Swap

Bill,
Not too much to this, the best tool you can get is a (dedicated) turkey
baster.  Just start pulling fluid out of the reservoir until you get to the
screen.  This is held on with a circular clip which is pretty easily
removed.  Keep basting (de-basting?) and you will arrive at another clip,
which holds a metal plate in place.  This plate covers the filter (which
just looks like a cardboard tube cut cross-sectionally).
Swap filters and reinstall everything.

One piece of advice is to note how the clips are attached to the center
support rod.  They have a little tab and are meant to be installed either
tab up or tab down.  If you have especially large hands, things can get a
little tight in the reservoir.  In this case, just recruit your wife or
girlfriend :-)

Good luck, should take 15-20 minutes.  Don't forget to bleed the system
afterwards.  If I remember correctly, start the car and, while parked, move
the wheel slowly full lock to full lock a couple of times.

Regards,

Reed
Seattle
1985 535i
159K

		I've received several responses to MY question regarding
squeeking from the power steering pump.  I attribute the responses to NOT
telling the people I'm hoping to get an answer from that they suck!  Anyhoo,
I was told to change the filter in the reservoir and keep it filled.  I
looked in my Haynes manual (can't afford the Bentley yet) and it doesn't say
anything about removing the filter.  Before I drained the reservoir and
tried to replace it, I was hoping someone could give me instructions and
tell me what I was about to get into.
		Thanks
		Bill K
		BMWCCA 160195