<MISC><WOB> re:Off road 325

that kwazy wabbit Michiel sez
>I took my 325es off-road yesterday. :) Well, on a crazy dirt path that kept
>going up and down every few yards and I definitely had to stay out of the

ya! fun fun fun!
those dukes-of-hazzard u turns are known as 'bootlegger' turns
('cause the bootleggers did them lots to get away from de cops)
(you know, sneaking down the booze from us up here in Canada)

>I'm still surprised how well the car did there. Very controlled. Limited
>slip diff. may have helped too. So I'm wondering: did anybody ever modify
>their bimmer for off-road? Like *raise* the suspension? How do iX's do
>off-road?

a LSD is great.. really helps in clawing your way up those loose slopes..

the iX isn't that great at slow stump pulling.. the AWD works good for
high speed low traction situations but you can toast stuff if you are
trying to grind your way out of a ditch..

what I really want to get one day is a skid plate (BMW sells one for about
 $300 US or something) for the front of the car..

the other weekend I was trying to climb this silly hill (wet grass + mud)
in my E30 325i but didn't make it to the top (no tread, mud, wet grass,
 forget it!).. I *did* slide over a bush sideways though :)

sigh

but here comes winter! driving sideways with almost no traction can be a daily
event! 3 point turns a thing of the past! power slide around those corners !

it's no wonder my snow tires seem to wear out real fast :)

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002

End of bmw-digest V9 #495