AFM to MAF

Hello all,

I'm glad to see the discussion this happening.  I've been wondering how I
could accomplish this conversion on my Euro '85 M635CSi (basket case I've
been slowly putting back together).  At first I though it would be as simple
as replacing the AFM w/ a MAF and dropping in a new chip, now it appears
that just getting a new chip for my car is more of a question then I had
thought.  I've looked into the Split Second conversion and I am tempted (if
my AFM goes (is) bad I will likely do this - intermittent starting problem,
driving me crazy - anyone know how to test an AFM?).
Through this discussion it has occurred to me that it might also be possible
to do a MAF and change the CPU at the same time, that is if there is a later
M5 (all M6 use the AFM) that uses MAF w/o Vanos or other significant changes
to the motor or wiring.  This would not be as cheep as the SS conversion yet
to me it is more elegant.  I don't have any parts listings for the M5 so I
do not know if any of them even used a MAF and if so whether such a
heart/lung transplant would be easily applied (wiring, engine, censor...
considerations).  Can anyone answer this?

Thanks,
	Barry

BMW ACA  # 2429
BMW CCA  # 94860