Re: Eta questions

I own an '86 528e, and while the gerbils under the hood are getting a
bit long in the tooth, I am still very happy with the performance of
the car.  I also have a 328i, so I certainly know that the 528e is
never going to blow the doors off of a lot of other BMW models.  I too
think it gets an overly bad rap on this digest. It performs its
function very well -- it's efficient, noted for it's long life span,
and handles better than most comparably sized cars.  And it does
indeed manage to accelerate up the on-ramps of freeways in a very
respectable manner.   Here in northern NJ there's an entrance ramp
onto Rt 280 northbound in the vicinity of the Oranges that's on a
steep uphill climb.  You start from a standing start, and have to
accelerate up the hill and merge with highway traffic.  Even with my
528e I invariably find myself moving into the far left passing lane
within 1/2 mile of entering the highway.  For comparison, my wife's
Audi A6, her old Volvo 740, and our Ford Explorer can't keep up.

As to adding a chip -- I installed a Bavarian Autoworks  chip last
year, and found that at high revs the engine is indeed more powerful.
I have not noticed a decrease in mileage.  Here's one data point -- I
drove from VT back to NJ this past weekend and got slightly over 30
MPG, while maintaining a consistent 70 MPH speed. Not bad.

- -Chip
'86 528e
'97 328iC
BMW CCA

>When I first got my 528e last month I was actually suprised at the
acceleration that
>it had, I had heard about and seen the specs on these cars. The zero to
60 is about
>3 seconds faster than my old 733i, but it tops out alot slower and
doesn't have
>anywhere near the passing speed, but you still can't beat the economy.

>4. I have a 528e and was thinking of putting in a chip to help with the
throttle
>response, is it worth it? What will it do to my fuel economy, right now
I get about