LTW Oil Pan Issues?

Hi,

I have the LTW Oil Pan installed on my 95 M3 and it is time to weigh in
on this thread.

Several have mentioned that they would just prefer to top off the oil
with an extra quart or so.  Duane Collie gave an excellent description
of why this may not be the best solution and it may cost you power.
Overfilling with oil will only deal with the symptom it is not the cure.
You have to ask yourself how often do you race and how often do you
experience oil starvation (you will know when you hear your valves
clattering).  It all depends on your environment and what kind of
driving you do.

The LTW Oil Pan was designed for the 95 LTW as a trunk option that
would, if installed, instantly void the warrantee.  This is odd since
the LTW was produced to be a stock racer.  You should assume that if you
install this in your car it will void your warrantee.  I had mine
installed just after my warrantee expired.

The 96+ M3 poses some installation issues. Since the engine and a few
other parts were changed in the 96+ model the LTW Oil Pan requires some
modification to be installed properly.  I do not know exactly what these
are but Korman and PTG have completed these installations.

This project as Duane mentioned is not a do it yourself project.  The
engine must be supported, you have all kinds of things to loosen and
fit.  When I got mine, I took one look and said this is a job for
Midwest Motorsport (my local after market tuner).  Be prepared to have
the car in the shop for a day and it will take more like 4-6 hours to
install.

Was it worth it?  You have to make some judgements.  Both my wife and I
autocross the car in two BMW chapters and will also start driver's
schools and track events next year.  The car gets run hard in 90 degree
plus temperatures.  The decision was easy.  But I did not decide until I
started experiencing oil starvation.  I did not just run out and do
this.  It cost me over $1100 (I was not part of a group buy) for the oil
pan and a days worth of labor to have it installed.

David Holeman
E36 M3 1995 Alpine White
* JimC, Euro HFM and Airbox with snorkle
* Bilstein sport shocks and springs
* BMP billet strut bar
* X Brace
* Euro floating rotors
* Stillen DOT stainless steel brake lines
* BL/SS Bent
* 3.46:1 Differential w/Alpina cover
* LTW Oil Pan