Re: $ for Split Sec. vs Chip

> Hello BMW Experts!       Neil Deshpande put forth about the costs of the
> Split Second
> conversion versus the price of a chip.  I had to look into this for my
> hopped up M20 engine.
[snip details]
>      Comparing the Split Sec. and a chip is a little like apples and
> oranges.  The S.S. does
> not adjust the timing, which is something my custom engine really needed.
> OTOH, once you get your expensive custom chip, you can't mess with your
> engine anymore.  Even a different exhaust

I should have mentioned this to start with...

I don't really spending >$700 on chip + MAF + misc parts, even though it
may cost more than the split-sec kit because the chip upgrade+MAF will
be a much better upgrade (HP, torque, etc.) than the MAF+split-sec kit.
I am not really counting the cost of a chip as part of this project.

- ---
Rob Clark
San Diego
BMWCCA