Stereo Upgrade

I've had my '95 325i for about 3 months or so now, and as much as I love
this machine, I hate the OEM stereo.  I have the Pioneer4 head in the front,
the BMW amp and CD changer in the trunk, and the original speakers all
around (8 of them).  Speakers are definately being replaced (probably
MBQuart), amp is very likely, smallish bass tube is being strongly
considered.

A couple of months ago, I ran across an email someone had put together that
outlined the wiring both into and out of the factory amp.  I can't remember
if it was in the digest or in my wanderings around the web.  Anybody have
any clue what I'm talking about or where I can find it again?  Also, any
experiences, good or bad, with replacing factory parts with third party
parts would be greatly appreciated.

I know there have been countless threads on this stuff in the past, so
private replies are welcome.

Thanks - John

john.riganati@domain.elided
'95 325i - acoustically challenged