RE: $ for Split Sec. vs Chip

Hello BMW Experts!       Neil Deshpande put forth about the costs of the
Split Second
conversion versus the price of a chip.  I had to look into this for my
hopped up M20 engine.
The least expensive way to optimize the engine controls was to get a custom
chip done by
Garrett Lim, using the stock O2 sensor hooked to a multimeter.  This took a
bunch of hours,
burning many chips, and took many runs to test the settings.  Jim C.
admonished me for using
the stock O2 sensor method, saying it is not acurate enough, but J.C.
himself advertises this method on his website.  Cost for a Garrett chip:
$400.  Garrett also does dino chips, but I don't
have the cost.  Garrett is near Trenton, NJ.
     For custom dino chips, there are a couple of shops I have found.  ERT
quoted me a price of ~ $500, using J.C. software, but I would have to get a
more modern ECU box than my 153.
     A guy named Larry Birstein quoted me a price of ~ $600. to $800. for
his work.  He has
good credentials, and J.C. likes him.  Larry is near Philly.
     Comparing the Split Sec. and a chip is a little like apples and
oranges.  The S.S. does
not adjust the timing, which is something my custom engine really needed.
OTOH, once you get your expensive custom chip, you can't mess with your
engine anymore.  Even a different exhaust
will sometimes need a new chip.          Murf      '87 328is      BMWCCA
79550