In Support of the Eta

Allow me to add to Dave's support of the "lowly eta".

>Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 10:19:35 -0500
>From: "David Lacroque - ColorImage" <ddl@domain.elided>
>Subject: Is it an E or an I
>
>I own a '87 ETA driven 3 series and I think that there is a misconception
>out there as to its performance. Its true that the ETA is no rocket but it
>does get the car going. It's a BMW not a Bulldozer!  If you are not
>planning on racing the ETA is fine and will usually come at a lower price
>than an I.
[snipped the rest of it]

In the 3 series body:  The eta engine develops LOTS of torque, torque
which we 325i drivers wish we had gotten from the factory.  For
everyday driving, this car is plenty fast.  I remember attending a drivers
school run by Allen Hardy of H&B.  Some customer had failed to pay for
the repairs to a 325e, so it became Allen's car through some legal
process of which I don't have the details.  He brought the "lowly eta" to
Laguna Seca and proceed to lap guys in Alpinas and other highly
modified cars.  (Yes, it was stock, I asked - at least that's what he said.)
Now, obviously Allen knew the track and knew how to drive, but the fact
that a stock eta was lapping much more powerful cars proves my point:
Driven right, the 325e/es is a fast car.

The problem is, it just does not FEEL fast.  We all expect that big power
rush when the engine "comes on the cam".  But, the eta hits the limiter
right about the time you're expecting that rush.  Going fast isn't enough, it
has to FEEL fast, too.

In the 5 series body:  This was the original application for this engine.  It
was an economy power plant for a mid-size car.  It just wasn't really up
to the task of hauling around a 3100 pound car.  Fuel economy is great,
but you better not be in a hurry to get up to freeway speed on that short
uphill on ramp.  Of course, this is all relative, and I'm sure I'll be flamed by
many 528e owners, but this is MY OPINION, OK?  The 325e weighed
about 400 pounds less, and the engine was right at home in that body.  If
you're in a hurry, the 528e is not the right car.

So, Dave is right, in the 3 series and for normal driving, the eta is fine.  In
the 5er, that's a different animal.

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977