re: E34 audio

I probably did too much to my 535i (Clarion Cassette/receiver head, 12 disk
changer, component speaker sets, two amps, sub-woofer, digital signal
processor).  If I had it all to do over again I would probably:

1.  replace the head unit with a Clarion ProAudio CD/Receiver (in spite of
the rantings of an Alpine bigot a few digests ago, you won't go wrong with
most major brands like Alpine, Clarion, or Sony ES)
2.  replace the front speaker with a/d/s A5im coax (don't put separates in
the factory locations, the sound sucks)(that Alpine rant suggested MBQuart,
these sound great in a store, but get shrill and bright to my ears after a
while in the car)
3.  add a Precision Power PC450 4 channel amp
4.  maybe replace the rear speakers with something relatively inexpensive
5.  optionally add a free-air subwoofer in the ski sack hole (run the fronts
and the sub with the amp and the rears from the head unit)

Really, to get 90th percentile sound, replace the four speakers with decent
coaxes, and the "High Power" head with a quality CD receiver, then listen
and live with it for a month or so to decide if you need an amp or sub or
changer.  And remember that install quality is as important as component
choice.

Bob Swanson
'91 535i
'65 1800ti (OK not yet, but still thinking about it)