<Misc>Autothority to BLSS, Rob's Knob? I got wood.

I just converted my E36 325 from an autothority short shift kit (Hey it cost
me $25) to a stage 3 BLSS kit last weekend.  A couple thoughts.

1) You'll need a 17mm socket (short not deep) with a pretty short handle
(less than 8") to get at the bolt that attaches the Autothority shifter
extension.  There's not a lot of room to get at it.  I'm glad it wasn't on
overly tight.

2)  You'll also need a pair of Vice Grips (or at least decent pliers) to get
the Autothority shifter extension off the shifter.  Mine was stuck on pretty
well, and it took a fair amount of twisting and prying.  You MUST remove
this to be able to get the shifter out of the car since it is too big to
slide through the hole in the carrier.

When installing the ERK, I'll second the motion for a sawed off 1/2" section
of the allen key that is sent in the ERK kit.  Add a wrap or two of tape
around one end (wrap the cut end) to make a "handle" and use a small bit of
tape to hold on each allen screw as you thread it into the ERK.  I was able
to get the two driver's side screws for the ERK in from above fairly easily,
but the passenger side screws must be installed from below (IMHO).

The inner portion of that boot is a %^#@ to get back around the bottom of
the carrier.  I admit I gave up, and will try agin some other time (honest).

Rob's Knob?
Also, regarding topping off the shift lever, I dunno anything about Rob's
Knob, but my girlfriend gave me wood in the car last summer, (Momo, that is)
and I find it very comfortable.  I also bet it's going to be a bit warmer to
the touch in the winter time (not to mention those moments when someone
might want to lick it).  The only problem I have is that I can't get the
shaft of the shift lever all the way in to the shift knob with the sleeve
that momo supplies at the bottom of my wood, so I'm going sleeve-less.  I
suppose that's OK as long as I'm the only one driving...

Marc Plante
E36 325i, 111k
Alexandria, VA
Next up, B&B Triflow...Or maybe a hampster
Mailto:marc@domain.elided