(E36) Water pump failures

I have a 93 325is (build date 10/92).  Does anyone know when BMW stopped
using water pumps with plastic impellers?  I know it's less painful than
waiting for an unfortunate surprise (inevitably at 10 PM on a cold rainy
Sunday night), but is there any way to know if your car has the plastic or
metal impeller without going to the hassle of pulling off the old pump?  Did
BMW realize the error of their ways after Vin. xxxx or is there a number or
mark on the offending pumps?   Can I use the old pump as a DIY
supercharger?!  Inquiring minds and undamaged knuckles want to know.....

Ron Sanders
Phone: 404-639-4678
Fax:      404-639-2980
Email: RLS5@domain.elided