Computer controlled thermostat on new V8

I have just purchased a 97 540i with the computer controlled thermostat
& I am trying to decide if it is functioning correctly. When its cold
outside, the temp gauge goes up very quickly to just above the blue
range & stays there about 5 minuites before it moves up to the first
white line where its stays another 5 minutes before going to 1/2 scale.
Even after 10 minutes on the highway it will go back down almost to the
first white line and then back to 1/2 scale.
Any comments from other owners with this electronic thermostat.?

- --
Larry Abelkop
Gone: 74R60/5 86R65
Here: 95R1100RS 97540i/6 Speed  96318Ti
Spartanburg, SC (Home of the mother ship BMW)