Bump on the head (but I'm not seeing stars...)

So the other day I was adjusting the valves on my car, when I figured out why
the area around the #1 spark plug was always a little oily.  On the top
surface (i.e. what the valve cover gasket goes on top of) of the head, just
behind the #1 cylinder, there is a small bump, which is about as tall as the
thickness of the gasket.  It doesn't seem to be leaking profusely, but I can't
figure out where this bump might have come from.  Anyone seen anything like it?

- ---
Rob Clark
San Diego
BMWCCA 156543