1994 e34 problem, please help.

hello all-
i have a 1994 bmw 530i with two problems.
my main problem is that the car makes a strange low-pitched whining
noise (with some vibration), usually when it is cold and it also seems
to occur more when it is either rainy or humid out. my car has had the
short block replacement and it seems this noise has been since then. the
noise seems to occur at certain rpm, today it was around 900 to 1000
rpm, so if i'm doing a lot of in-town driving it happens a lot.
unfortunately the noise does not always occur. of course whenever i take
it in for service, they're like, well if it doesn't do it, we can't fix
it. i have been living with this problem for two years. i have taken it
to Isringhausen Imports several times (Springfield IL), written letters
to BMW, taken it to Twin City a couple of times, and to a local shop as
well. No one seems to be able to determine what this strange sound is.
Any recommendations on who in IL might be able to fix this car? I heard
that the 3 series cars have some pumps (for the coolant) or something
that work for the heating system, does the 5 series have that? i was
wondering if that might be what the noise is, since it seems to occur
more frequently when it is cold. however, sometimes the noise seems to
occur when i'm turning around corners. i know this description isn't so
great, but i just don't know exactly what is causing this problem.
please help before this drives me crazy. i live in IL, someone must be
able to fix this car correctly.

my second prolem is that i have an after market stereo in this car with
alternator whine (this is not the same noise as in the problem above). i
need specific instructions to give my installer or a reccomendation on
an installer who has done multi-amp systems within the state of IL, heck
I'd even go to indianapolis if someone knew a competent installer, who
can fix my stereo problems.

thanks in advance. sorry for the long message.
cheers,
frustrated by my BMW.
- -peter newman, jr.
champaign, IL