<MISC> re:Notchy shifts while cold

Wes asks
>It may just
>be my lack of experience with manual transmissions.
>
>Lately when the car is cold and I try to shift into gear, the shifter feels
>rather "notchy" when switching between gears.

all manual transmission cars do this.. it is because winter is coming :)

(well, auto's too - new automatics usually limit rpm and adjust shift patterns
 when cold so as not to stress the transmission too much)

when temperature gets *really* cold (-35 or lower) it sometimes takes
two hands to get gearshift into gear :)

of course, that is until the transmission warms up a bit

redline (or other synthetics) in the transmission make things much easier
Generally though even when really cold, the transmission does not take
 very long to warm up at all so it's no big deal.

just take it easy when car is cold

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002